Saturday, November 10, 2007

Branching Out

I must confess--unless I'm at a winery or a wine tasting, I won't drink a wine I don't know anything about. Well, that's not true...my parents may serve a wine I've never tasted before, but I've never had a bad wine at my parents house (they've retired to the central coast wine country) so I trust their judgement. I can stand before a plethora of wines in Trader Joe's or BevMo and still end up buying something I know I will like because I've tried it before.



That is, until recently.



Long story short--I rarely drink Cabernet anymore--I'm a Zinfandel gal, but I tried Rodney Strong Cabernet and found it very drinkable. It wasn't an "in your face" type of wine like most zins I like, but it was mellow. Smooth. Slightly smoky, but not annoyingly so. Earthy. In short, I really enjoyed it.

Soon we will discuss Pinot Noirs. Yum.

1 comment:

Jeep said...

Great post, I enjoy Zinfandel and generally have several bottles on hand. I prefer an old vine Zinfandel, the flavors of the wine seem to be just a bit more robust.